Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The "Go On Home" Test

Over lunch today, the other IM med students and I were discussing how we react when the resident tells us we can go home early. There are basically two ways to react:

1) Exclaim "Sweet!" and bounce on out the door.

2) Your internal monologue exclaims "Sweet!" but you just have to ask "Are you sure?" out of guilt.

I admitted to being the second type. Not even half an hour later, our resident said "Well, you can skidaddle if you want to." I couldn't help it, I had to ask "Are you sure?" He paused for a moment and said "Well, why don't you go make sure nothing's going on in the ER and then you can go." Naturally I ended up doing a two-hour complete H&P. As I was walking to the ER, one of the other med students said "That's what you get for asking," and bounced on outta there.

I'll probably still ask next time.

1 comment:

Michelle, Bethany, Zach & James said...

Funny...I NEVER have that problem. As soon as he says I can go, I am GONE, roadrunner-style. I'm sorry, but I am DONE after a 6am to 6pm day, I'm not about to open my big mouth and extend it.